beowulf, grendel and anarchy

Today I got lent a copy of the 'Beowulf and Grendel' movie, which looks about as classy as you might expect, and a little less accurate. I haven't watched it yet, but the cover says a lot. For a start the back boasts a rating of 3 stars, which isn't a good sign. The description calls up memories of the Beowulf poem, the famous non-fight between Grendel and Beowulf, the themes of mercy, the memorable character of Selma the "mysterious and sensual witch". Well, ok, so what I actually remember is Beowulf ripping Grendel's arm off at the shoulder to stop him eating any more people, but then what would I know? Who knows where the Selma character sprang from... Anyway, looks like it will be fun and cause much laughter. The problem is that it's really a movie that needs to be watched with a large-ish group of people and everyone has assignments and exams at the moment. Including me truth be told. But the essays are coming along ok...

I want a bumper sticker that says I study Old English Poetry and I vote. Other bumper sticker ideas: I don't Watch the News and I vote, I'm an anarchist and I vote. hehe, anarchists. I got handed a leaflet by the Sydney Uni anarchists party today, about "a discussion on anti-capitalism and decentralised protest tactics". I'm sorry, but I don't think that anarchy is really a desirable and viable alternative to capitalism. And I feel that protesting APEC is a very bad idea given the security measures. You'd probably get locked up indefinitely for terrorism or some such charge (yes my understanding of the 'security measures' they're planning on putting in place is very vague, but then I could legitimately use the 'I don't watch the news and I vote' bumper sticker). No doubt there are problems with the agenda of such global business groups, but I think that to say they act "to further neoliberal assault on the earth and our lives" is a bit overdramatic. Oh well. Important issues no doubt, but I doubt the anarchists have the answer. I couldn't protest with them anyway, I have to go to a wedding that day :)

The library calls, and the essays yell and scream in the background. They really can't stand it when you don't pay attention to them, essays always want to be in the limelight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Start With, Quotes

panem et circenses

2023 Booklist