election day

Yesterday was the second federal election I've ever voted in, which was pretty exciting. At the polling booth the woman who handed me my ballot asked me if this was my first election. When I said no she looked surprised and told me I looked like a baby. *sigh* I get that all the time. I voted below the line, hopefully legibly, cos I like my preferences. Although there are alot of parties which I have no idea where to preference.
Last night it was on to an election party in Balmain, with coverage from two different tv stations, radio and internet. There were sheets of paper to write up predictions and results as they came out, as well as a collection of various election posters (and food and rink, of course). There was a clear majority of Labor supporters, so the mood was particularly joyful, and much cheering could be heard. Especially at all the results for Bennelong, although last I heard there was no final result. But Maxine McKew was looking pretty chirpy. So, now we have a Labor government, which is pretty exciting. After all, it's been a long time since we had a change. Let's hope they do well!

Comments

  1. I lived under a conservative government all my life till I was 18, then we got Gough. Then we were all happy to go back to the conservatives three years later.
    The important thing is for them to realise their limits (unlike Gough, who thought there were none.) and to behave justly and in a Godly way. (well, we will have to hope for the best there.)

    I am a bit irritated by some of the fairly arch comment about Howard and Costello today. Maybe I should say snide comment. They have done a good enough job, except on climate and conservation of course, about which the conservatives as a group seem to understand little, and I will be surprised if anyone finds themselves better off now. Apart from Labor hacks of course.
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and what is this "rink" that you have with food?
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for the clever Bennelong voters! :D

    By the way, I hate to sort of advertise my brother's blog, but you know he does have a senate ranking system which computes a preference order for voting below the line...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I saw it. But to remember the ordering for 70+ candidates...

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the first time ever, I just numbered just the one box above the line. I just got back from Melbourne that day and had had 2 hours sleep... I also assumed the Labor party's Senate preferences would do a reasonable job of keeping the nutjobs low (I'm looking at you One Nation and all those other racist parties).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Start With, Quotes

panem et circenses

2022 Booklist