one book, two book, three book four... and five

I wanted to write this post ages ago, in responses to the post over on Stuck-in-a-book post, but blogger has been playing up and uni assignments have been calling... so some of these books are out of date, and some have been changed, but here we go...


The book I'm currently reading...




I loved Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles SO MUCH when I was younger, but I haven't read anything else by her (or even the whole set of the Chronicles, for that matter). This is living up to my expectations, it's a regency/fantasy book and it's so much fun! The main character is a street urchin in London who dresses as a boy to stay out of trouble and takes a job breaking into Mairelon the magician's caravan and is then taken on as an assistant. Adventures ensue.


The last book I finished...






I am reading quite a bit of fantasy at the moment I feel, and this is also set in a quasi-regency period, but with the added complication of an alternate history and a spirit world. I'm also reading a lot of books I really enjoy, I loved this one. Kate Elliot has impressed me in the past with her attention to historical detail in worlds not quite like our own (in her Crown of Stars series, which I nonetheless never finished for reasons of timing), and I've been meaning to read some of her other books for a while. Unfortunately, as with the Crown of Stars, the series hasn't been finished yet, but when I finished this book I was dying to read the next one. I guess I'll just have to wait...




The next book I want to read...


This book intrigued me, from the title to the premise (a nine year old girl finds she can taste the feelings of the person who made the food in all the food she eats). Actually I have started reading it in digital form, but I want to get my hands on it and finish it and figure it out. This is a strange one...


The last book I bought...




Latest in a series! Can't resist. I'm always amazed at how Kate Griffin manages to start each one of these books right in the middle of a crisis, but it is definitely a way to get the reader's attention. I like her portrayal of London through magic, I do sometimes feel the lack of secondary characters. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be a secondary character in this series, they don't usually last for long...


The last book I was given...


This is a tricky one, since I tend to be given books in lumps. In fact I guess The Neon Court would count as the last book I was given, since I bought it with a book voucher. But I think the last time I was given an actual book was Christmas, and there were a few: Freedom by Jonathan Franzen, The City and The City by China Mieville, The Grimm Reader by Maria Tatar, The Complete Poems of Walt Whitman and Truth by Peter Temple are the ones that spring to mind. Not a big fan of Truth, but really enjoyed The City and the City and The Grimm Reader, also Freedom but it suffered a bit from not being The Corrections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Start With, Quotes

panem et circenses

2022 Booklist